Staff Nurse, Special Care Nursery @ St. Joseph Medical Center
Akron Children's Hospital
Location: Warren, Ohio
Internal Number: 5608
About Akron Children's Hospital
Akron Children's Hospital has been caring for children since 1890, and our pediatric specialties are ranked among the nation's best by U.S. News & World Report. With two hospital campuses, regional health centers and more than 50 primary and specialty care locations throughout Ohio, we're making it easier for today's busy families to find the high-quality care they need. In 2020, our health care system provided more than 1.1 million patient encounters. We also operate neonatal and pediatric units in the hospitals of our regional health care partners. Every year, our Children's Home Care Group nurses provide thousands of in-home visits, and our School Health nurses manage clinic visits for students from preschool through high school. With our Quick Care Online virtual visits and Akron Children's Anywhere app, we're here for families whenever and wherever they need us. Learn more at akronchildrens.org .
To treat every child as we would our own
To treat others as they would like to be treated
To turn no child away for any reason
Prior to the start date, full COVID-19 vaccination is required for employment. Full vaccination is defined as 14 days after the last received vaccination. Boosters are excluded from this requirement.
We are seeking people who are committed to fostering a diverse environment in which patients, family and staff from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed, included and can thrive.
PRN (As Needed) Shift Varies, 7am to 7:30pm or 7pm to 7:30am
Summary: The Staff Nurse provides nursing care requiring specialized knowledge judgment and skill derived from the principles of biological, physical, behavioral, social and nursing sciences.
Responsibilities: 1. Assesses, plans, implements, evaluates and directs nursing care with a focus on family centered care for individuals or groups of patients within the assigned scope of practice.
2. Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care for the physical, psychosocial, educational, and safety needs of the patients served regardless of age and developmental status is required.
3. Performs leadership and professional duties.
4. Performs patient-centered care duties.
5. Performs quality improvement and safety duties.
6. Participates in the development education for staff members for clinically related issues. May be responsible for precepting new employees and act as a mentor to the clinical staff.
7. Performs evidence-based practice duties.
8. Supports the provider staff and actively promotes collaboration for efficient operation and quality care, and legendary customer service for pediatric patients using a team approach.
9. Performs systems-based practice duties.
10. Performs informatics and technology duties.
11. Staff may be temporarily assigned to an area throughout the Akron Children's Hospital enterprise, based on patient needs requiring similar knowledge and skill.
12. Other duties as required.
Technical Expertise 1. Demonstrated ability to provide leadership, guidance and motivation to other staff members with emphasis on working as a collaborative team to provide quality service to patients and their families.
2. Strong communication skills, both verbal and written are required.
3. Excellent customer service and interpersonal communication skills are required.
4. Strong organizational skills are required.
5. Ability to work well under pressure to prioritize and complete required tasks and responsibilities in a timely and accurate manner.
6. Experience working with various levels within an organization is required.
7. Experience in healthcare is preferred.
8. Experience working in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Word) or similar software is required.
9. Experience working an electronic medical record system (i.e. EPIC) or similar software is preferred.
Education and Experience 1. Education: Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) is required or must be obtained within 5 years from date of hire.
2. Current certification in Basic Life Support training from the American Heart Association is required. Additional certifications may be required based on the assigned department or unit.
3. Licensed as a Registered Nurse (RN) in the state of Ohio is required.
4. Years of relevant experience: Minimum of one (1) year of experience is preferred.
5. Years of experience supervising: None
Akron Children's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with Disabilities.
EEO is the law, please click/copy paste the link below to learn more: